We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims and they are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct under the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not.
Highfield Middle School will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010) (race, disability, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief and sexual orientation).
We aim to provide the highest possible education for all of our learners. The ethos of our school clearly reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of our school community. All pupils will have equal access to the highest standards of education as we promote academic excellence, pupil well-being and personal development in equal measure.
We have set ourselves the following objectives for 2023-2024:
- To ensure that staff and governors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the school’s responsibility.
- To promote understanding, awareness and tolerance of different cultures and beliefs, between different groups within our school and the wider community.
- To ensure that no pupil is disadvantaged by poverty or financial hardship, and that any such pupils receive the same opportunities within school.
- To ensure that all pupils have access to a healthy breakfast at the start of the day.
- To promote a whole school approach mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions where necessary.
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students for all groups of students; especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with special educational needs and disabilities and looked after children.
- Continue to improve facilities and accessibility across the school site for students, staff and visitors with disabilities.
- To continuously review and revise the curriculum so that it represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect.
Highfield Middle School is committed to promoting equality and diversity, providing an inclusive, caring and supportive environment, which is committed to the promotion of genuine equal opportunities for all. We recognise that every member of the school is regarded as of equal worth and importance, irrespective of their faith, culture, class, race, gender, sexuality and/or disability.