Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive school that supports all pupils and helps them to achieve. Regardless of the barriers and difficulties a young person might face, we will make every effort to provide a curriculum and facilities which enables all pupils to succeed.
We offer a range of provisions to support pupils with communication and interaction needs, cognition and learning difficulties, social, mental and health problems and sensory or physical needs. We have high expectations of all pupils and staff and we believe that it is the entitlement of all pupils to have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
The Governing Body and staff at Highfield Middle School believe that all pupils are valued equally. Pupils with special educational needs are not viewed as a separate entity but are part of the whole school approach where different pupil’s needs are recognised and met through varied and flexible provisions throughout the curriculum.
We aim to include all pupils in every aspect of school life. The key to supporting pupils with additional needs is communication. When we work together in partnership it always leads to positive outcomes for children.
As a parent / carer you can be involved by:
- Using the information on the school website SEND pages
- Discussing issues with the form or subject teacher and then the Year Leader
- Attending parents/carers evenings
- Attend review meetings
- Attending information evenings for year 6 SATs, residential visits etc
- Discussing the school report with your child in a supportive manner
- Make telephone contact about issues or for an appointment
- Reading letters and signing up for Parentmail
- Using the website for information about uniform etc
- Being involved with completing homework
- Encouraging pupils to attend clubs to learn new skills, perfecting skills they already have or receiving extra support, i.e. homework club
- Ensuring that school knows about all medicines and that any kept in school are within date. Contact Miss Allen in the School Office.
- If your child has an Education and Health Care Plan, attend the yearly annual review.
Mrs L Hook: SENDCO/Assistant Headteacher
Mrs C McIntosh: Learning Mentor
Mrs C Townsend: Learning Mentor
Miss D Jones: Cover Supervisor/Teaching Assistant
Mrs S Sagar: Cover Supervisor/Teaching Assistant
Mrs L Gibson: Cover Supervisor/Teaching Assistant
Mr T Bailey: Cover Supervisor/Teaching Assistant
Mrs L Hirst: Teaching Assistant
Mr H Watkins: Teaching Assistant
Miss C Bradshaw: Teaching Assistant
Miss L Hewitt: Teaching Assistant
Mr H Catnach: Teaching Assistant
Mrs E Ruddick: Teaching Assistant
Miss S Bell: Teaching Assistant
If you have any questions or concerns you can always make an appointment to meet with the SENDCO or a member of our team. We will be happy to see you.
Reviewed: October 2023
Next review date: October 2024